PhD Programmes at the Faculty of Biomedical Sciences
The Faculty of Biomedical Sciences awards a single degree of PhD in Biomedical Sciences with the following majors:
- Immunology and Cell Biology
The programme is run by the Institute for Research in Biomedicine (IRB), affiliated to the Faculty.
- Cancer Biology and Oncology
The programme is run by the Institute of Oncology Research (IOR), affiliated to the Faculty.
- Neurosciences / Human Neurosciences
The programme is run by the Neurocenter of Southern Switzerland (NSI - EOC), partner of the Faculty, or the Institute of Public Health of USI
- Cardiovascular/ Human Cardiovascular Sciences
The programme is run by the Cardiocentro Ticino, partner of the Faculty.
- Drug Sciences
The programme is run by the Institute of Computational Sciences (ICS) of USI
- Public Health
The programme is run by the Institute of Public Health of USI
Doing a PhD at any of the affiliated or partner institutes of the Faculty entails full immersion in a challenging and intellectual community of international students. The PhD programme provides solid scientific education, including general and specific skills, seminars and lectures, retreats, all of that carried out in cooperation also with the Clinical Trial Unit (CTU - EOC).
Trial work shall be organised and financed at the institute or partner where the programme is run. Open positions are published on the respective websites. Doctoral positions are not funded directly by USI.
The structure of doctoral studies is indicated in the relevant regulations below.
PhD Doctoral courses
To apply for a PhD program offered by the Faculty of Biomedical Sciences, please check directly the availability of positions at the institute where you are interested in doing your PhD:
- Institute for Research in Biomedicine (IRB) - for the PhD in Immunology and Cell Biology
- Institute of Oncology Research (IOR) - for the PhD in Cancer Biology and Oncology
- Neurocenter of Southern Switzerland - for the PhD in Neurosciences / Human Neurosciences
- Cardiocentro Ticino - for the PhD in Cardiovascular / Human Cardiovascular Sciences
- Institute of Computational Sciences (ICS) of USI - for the PhD in Drug Sciences
- Institute of Public Health of USI - for the PhD in Public Health
Once you do have a PhD-project agreed with one of the institutes, the following documents need to be sent to email@example.com:
- Picture of yourself
- Swiss matriculation number (if applicable)
- Master degree diploma
- Copy of passport and, if applicable, copy of working-permit
- Brief project description
- Confirmation of agreement / contract with the institute
- Motivation letter
- Reference letter from Thesis Director
1st Year Review