PhD Programmes at the Faculty of Biomedical Sciences
The Faculty of Biomedical Sciences awards a single degree of PhD in Biomedical Sciences with the following specialisations:
- Immunology and Cell Biology
The programme is run by the Institute for Research in Biomedicine (IRB), affiliated to the Faculty.
- Cancer Biology and Oncology
The programme is run by the Institute of Oncology Research (IOR), affiliated to the Faculty.
- Neurosciences / Human Neurosciences
The programme is run by the Neurocenter of Southern Switzerland (NSI - EOC), partner of the Faculty.
- Cardiovascular/ Human Cardiovascular Sciences
The programme is run by the Istituto Cardiocentro Ticino (ICCT-EOC), partner of the Faculty.
- Drug Sciences
The programme is run by the USI Faculty of Biomedical sciences, LRG.
- Public Health
The programme is run by the Institute of Public Health of USI.
- Computational Biomedicine
The programme is run by the Euler Institute.
- Musculoskeletal Sciences and Regenerative Medicine
The programme is run by the Service of Orthopedics and Traumatology (SORT-EOC), RMT Lab.
Doing a PhD at any of the affiliated or partner institutes of the Faculty entails full immersion in a challenging and intellectual community of international students. The PhD programmes provide solid scientific education, including general and specific skills, seminars, lectures, and retreats. The cooperation with the Clinical Trial Unit EOC (CTU-EOC) guarantees qualified and specialised support in all areas of clinical research for PhD theses Servizi di supporto alla ricerca - CTU EOC. Moreover, students have the opportunity to attend classes of the PhD programme "Biomedicine" offered in Zurich (ETH-UZH).
Trial work shall be organised and financed at the institute or partner where the programme is run. Open positions are published on the respective websites. Doctoral positions are not funded directly by USI.
The structure of doctoral studies is indicated in the relevant regulations below.
PhD Doctoral courses
To apply for a PhD programme offered by the Faculty of Biomedical Sciences, please check the availability of positions directly at the institute where you are interested in doing your PhD:
- Institute for Research in Biomedicine (IRB) - for Immunology and Cell Biology
- Institute of Oncology Research (IOR) - for Cancer Biology and Oncology
- Neurocenter of Southern Switzerland - for Neurosciences / Human Neurosciences
- Cardiocentro Ticino - for Cardiovascular / Human Cardiovascular Sciences
- Faculty of Biomedical Sciences, LRG - for Drug Sciences
- Institute of Public Health of USI - for Public Health
- Euler Institute - for Computational Biomedicine
- Service of Orthopedics and Traumatology (SORT-EOC), RMT Lab - for Musculoskeletal Sciences and Regenerative Medicine
Once you do have a PhD project agreed with one of the institutes, you must fill in the online registration form and attach the requested documents :
- Motivation letter
- Reference letter written by the PhD Thesis director
- Title and description of the PhD project (min. 1 page, max. 5)
- Copy of the Master degree diploma
- Confirmation of agreement or contract with the institute (and, if applicable, copy of working-permit)
- Copy of ID or passport
- Portrait picture of yourself (jpg, png)
Deadline for submission GSC meetings 18.09.2023 25.09.2023 16.10.2023 23.10.2023 20.11.2023 27.11.2023 11.12.2023 18.12.2023 15.01.2024 22.01.2024 04.03.2024 11.03.2024 06.05.2024 13.05.2024 24.06.2024 01.07.2024 26.08.2024 02.09.2024 07.10.2024 14.10.2024 11.11.2024 18.11.2024 09.12.2024 16.12.2024
Doctoral programme and 1st Year Review
PhD thesis evaluation report (to be filled in by the Experts and the Thesis Director)
PhD thesis defence report (to be filled in by the Chair of the Board)